Guacamole – 3 Great Styles
My totally perfect Guacamole:
As you can see this recipe has no tomato. I love tomatoes but I really like this combo. It is a flavor explosion!
- 1 nice sized ripe avocado, I use Hass, halved, seeded and peeled
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/4 of a medium onion diced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 small serrano chile (or half a large), minced a small as you can go.
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped fine so there are no big pieces
- Pinch of Cumin
- Kosher Salt
Mash up avocado, add rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Taste for salt level and adjust. The key is to balance the salt and the lime flavor.
This is my secret: Cover with plastic wrap by pressing it directly down onto the guacamole so that no air is touching the top surface or it will turn brown and oxidize. Place in the fridge for 1 hour. It allows the chiles to mellow and the flavors to blend and get cold. It makes it 10 times better.
My wonderful lady loves to make guacamole. Her style is more traditional.
- 2 ripe Hass Avocado, halved, seeded and peeled. Chopped
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 1/2 a tomato chopped
- 1/4 onion chopped
- Black Pepper, A few grinds
- Kosher Salt
In a bowl Mash chopped avocado, leaving some chunks. Mix in other ingredients, combine well. Taste salt level and adjust. Serve.
My Dad’s Superbowl Guacamole
When I was a kid for the Superbowl every year we would eat beef chili over tamales with a side of chips and his famous guacamole. It is a truly great football combo.
- 2 large ripe Hass Avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1/2 onion, chopped small (but not too small)
- 1 Large Roma Tomato or 2 small Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- Table salt
Mash the avocados. Mix in the lemon. Add salt. balance the lemon and the salt, it requires more salt than you might think. Mix in the rest of the ingredients. Serve with Chips.
- I like to serve it in a bowl and sprinkle chili powder on top. It is really great with tortilla chips.
- Serving on warm tostada shells is great too. Just place your tostadas in the toaster under close supervision and toast for about 20 seconds. DO NOT TOAST A FULL CYCLE OR THEY WILL BURN! Top with your favorite guacamole.